Are you finalizing a plan for new home construction or remodeling an existing home? Don’t overlook air sealing and energy efficiency. Taking time today to effectively insulate and air seal your new home or remodeling project will save money for years to come.
Investing in air sealing and other energy efficiency measures has a huge payoff for homeowners and builders:
- Better indoor air quality. When a home is not air sealed, pollutants, moisture, and pollen can enter through penetration points in the home’s envelope. Sealing air leaks helps keep pollutants out of the home – especially important for people who suffer from asthma and/or allergies.
- It’s easiest to air seal an open cavity. It is much easier to seal air leaks during construction when walls and other cavities are open. Adding air sealing as part of the construction process can reduce headaches later. Why put off air sealing when it can be done today?
- A more comfortable home. Sealing air leaks helps increase comfort inside the home. This creates peace of mind for homeowners and happier customers for builders.
- Higher home values. Energy efficient homes sell at a premium. This premium can be as much as 4% above the national average. Investment in air sealing and other energy upgrades benefits a homeowner when it’s time to sell, and saves the homeowner money on monthly energy bills while they own the home.
- Credits and financing. Investment in energy efficient measures can qualify for financial assistance through tax credits or rebates and through energy-efficient financing (including an energy efficient mortgage/EEM). Check with your lender for more information.
If you’re interested in adding air sealing to your next project, contact our office. Our team is happy to answer questions and recommend a course of action for your project.